Over six million car accidents occur each year in the United States. One in three car accidents involve personal injury to the driver and/or passengers.
If you are involved in an accident, there are certain steps you should follow to protect yourself and your interests:
- STOP! Never drive away from the scene of an accident, even a minor one.
- PROTECT! Make sure you are in a safe place and your vehicle’s lights/flashers are on.
- CALL THE POLICE! It is a good idea to call the police, even if there are no serious injuries. A police report can assist in filing a claim with your insurance company, even if it is just to make a claim for property damage. The vehicles involved in the accident should remain where they are, unless they interfere with traffic.
- MAKE AN ACCURATE RECORD! Make sure you tell the police exactly what happened, to the best of your ability. If you do not know certain facts, tell that to the officer. Do not speculate, guess or mislead any of the facts. If you are asked if you are injured and you are not sure, say you are not sure, rather than no. Often, the pain and injuries from motor vehicle accidents become apparent hours after the actual collision. You should also make sure statements made by other persons involved in the accident are accurate as well.
- TAKE PICTURES! Take pictures of the vehicles involved, the visible damage, the surrounding scene, all persons involved. If you have visible injuries, you should photograph them as well.. If you cannot take pictures at the scene of the accident, take them as soon as possible after the accident.
- EXCHANGE INFORMATION! Make sure you obtain the name, address and telephone number of all persons involved in the accident, drivers and passengers alike. It is also important to obtain the insurance card for all vehicles involved. If there are witnesses, you should get information from them as well. The investigating officer should provide all drivers with a police report number.
- CALL YOUR ATTORNEY! It is always best practice to consult with your attorney after an accident. They can properly explain how to handle your insurance claim, how to protect your rights, assist with your property damage and get you proper medical attention. Insurance companies often want to take statements immediately after an accident. It is important that you have received legal advice before providing such a statement. Personal injury attorneys work on
If you or someone you love was injured in a car accident, please contact us. We can review your case and advise you further on what steps to take. With decades of experience fighting insurance companies and millions of dollars recovered for our clients, we have the knowledge and expertise to recover the maximum compensation for you. We do not charge if you do not win.
Nothing on this page, or in links provided on this page, constitutes legal advice or the practice of law. Nor does viewing this page form an attorney/client relationship between you and Solution Law APC. All visitors should consult with a qualified legal professional regarding their individual questions, needs, or issues that may be of concern. We are not responsible for any action taken by a reader based upon any information on this site. All of the content on this site is for general informational and educational purposes only. Solution Law APC attorneys are licensed to practice law in California and Nevada.